- Active site since 2014
- Located at the former site of Boeser Sheet Metal in Minneapolis
- Situated next to Prospect Park light rail stop
- View the plot map for 2018
Please note that the PPCG Towerside site will be undergoing renovation this year. This means that the earliest that we can begin gardening at the site is July 1st, but most likely later. Therefore we will not begin seeking gardeners for the site until we have a firm construction completion date. And that will only be for a partial gardening season.
Distinct gardening styles and programs are available at this location:
1. Individual Raised Bed Plots
Raised beds are 4′ x 8′ and will be rented at $15/plot for the gardening season.
A gardening opportunity to maintain and harvest produce communally
- Gain skills and socialize with experienced gardeners
- Members attend at least one of two set work days per week
- There is some flexibility for individual work time in cases of schedule conflicts
- Enter hours worked into the log
- Harvest is split equally between members present
- Membership for the season is $20
3. Hydroponics (included in GardenShare membership)
A high tech new gardening technique, hydroponic gardening provides more vegetables in a smaller space using less water than traditional raised bed vegetable gardening. We will host workshops to build the hydroponics system and teach the important concepts. The hydroponics garden activities and outputs are included with the GardenShare membership.
4. Youth Gardening
5. Giving Garden
Surly Brewery and the SGAD team manages multiple raised beds where they grow produce and give what is harvested to local food shelves. In 2018 they will also set up a gravel bed garden where they will nurture trees that will replenish what is lost along the Mississippi riverfront due to emerald ash borer and other insect infestation.
6. Intergenerational Gardening
Through an internship program with Venture Academy funded by the Prospect Park Co-op Legacy Fund, we are building gardening beds to explore ways to provide senior-friendly gardening. We are also building a cart where we can deliver produce to neighborhood locations that are easier for senior to gather to get fresh garden produce once a week.
2018 Volunteer Commitments:
Site Coordinator: OPEN
GardenShare Coordinator: Hanna Tremme
Water Captain: Del Hampton
Water Back-up: Kathleen Davis
Vacation Watering Team: